Life is a lot tougher for a woman when pregnant. The body undergoes several changes that she has to bear throughout day and night, still keep a smiling face. Here’s some more info on a feeling that almost every pregnant woman experiences – morning sickness.
What is Morning Sickness or Pregnancy Nausea?
It is very common for women to feel nauseated during pregnancy. Some women may even experience excessive vomiting during pregnancy. The phenomenon is also known by the name of pregnancy sickness in addition to pregnancy nausea and morning sickness. Nearly 80% of pregnant women experience morning sickness.
What Causes Morning Sickness?
Different hormonal changes during pregnancy lead to morning sickness. In order to prepare a safe environment for the baby in womb, body undergoes different changes rapidly, which is triggered by changes in different hormonal levels. This change in levels of hormones leads to feeling of nausea and vomiting, which is referred to as morning sickness.
When Does Morning Sickness Start?
Morning sickness is a characteristic symptom in early days of pregnancy that usually starts during the first trimester. It is a nauseous feeling that leads to restlessness and uneasiness. Another question we are usually asked is “how long does morning sickness last?”. Well, this usually depends on person to person and even day to day. There can be days you won’t even feel it and there can be other days when you will feel nauseated during most part of the day.
When Does Morning Sickness Peak or End?
Usually, morning sickness ceases to exist around 16th week of pregnancy. This feeling typically occurs in the early morning hours, but can even happen at other hours of the day, including night. There are different remedies and medicines to cure this nauseous feeling. Few quick and effective home remedies are as under.
Home Remedies to Provide Morning Sickness Relief
- Ginger – Ginger has been known for its ability to relieve vomiting and nausea. It has been used since ages to cure the feeling of morning sickness in pregnant women. Most preferred method to consume ginger is mixing it in tea. Crush or grate a small piece of ginger and boil it in water to make tea. Ginger tea relives the stomach and cures morning sickness substantially.
- Little, but Frequently – Consuming bulk of food at once or consuming too little at one time can trigger the feeling of vomiting and nausea. Instead, suggested are smaller meals at higher frequencies, e.g., if you consume three meals in a day, change it to 5 to 6 smaller meals throughout the day. It does not let your stomach get completely full or completely empty at any point in time, thereby preventing nausea and vomiting.
- Saltine Crackers – Consuming something before getting off the bed helps relieve morning sickness. Saltine crackers prove to be a great option because they absorb excess of acids present in the stomach. It is suggested to keep saltine crackers by the bedside at nighttime and put a few in your mouth before getting out of the bed in morning. This home remedy is extremely beneficial.
- Avoid Nausea-triggering Odors – It is highly recommended to stay away from any scents or fragrances that cause nauseous feeling. These odors can be worse during your pregnancy and can trigger morning sickness. Your sense of smell increases during pregnancy because of hormonal changes, which makes you more prone to feelings of nausea and vomiting. Hence, any such smells should be avoided. It will be great if you can note down the things that trigger your morning sickness. Making this list would enable you to be proactive.
- Acupressure Bands – Different acupressure bands are available in the market which put pressure on the specific pressure points on your body. This pressure prevents the feeling of nausea and vomiting, and is very helpful for pregnant women. Wearing an acupressure band on your wrist lets you keep away the morning sickness.
A lot of time patients turn up asking what helps morning sickness and how to stop morning sickness. As symptoms of morning sickness vary from person to person, the aforementioned pregnancy nausea remedies not only provide pregnancy nausea relief, but can even act as a permanent cure for morning sickness.
In addition to all these home remedies, one can opt for different morning sickness medication that prevent severe morning sickness, but any medicine during pregnancy should be taken under guidance of your healthcare provider.